Today is Sept 11th. The tenth anniversary of a very tragic event and an emotional day to think about. While I feel a bit remiss in talking about it, I struggle to find the right words. I used this day as a time for retrospection; to renew my faith in good, strong human nature. So many people died that day, ten years ago, and so many have given their lives since then. Their precious sacrifices will not be forgotten. Nor will I forget those who have not passed, but have served so diligently, so unwaveringly, to protect their country and its citizens. Day in, Day out. Those are the forgotten heroes.
Here in St. Louis, a memorial was set up on “Art Hill” in front of the St. Louis Art Museum in Forest Park. Nearly 3,000 flags were put on display, each with a name and brief bio, depicting all those that lost their lives on that fateful day. It was an awe-inspiring memorial. These pictures do not do it justice. It will be on display for one week… if you’re in the area, I highly recommend you visit it.
It’s Sunday, so it’s time for my weekly check-in on my goals. As a reminder, here’s last weeks (well half-of-a-week-goals)
- Work out 3 days. Get 2 runs in and at least 1 DVD. Check minus. I got two runs in…but no DVD. Other than Bob’s 15 min of abs and I don’t feel like that counts.
- Eat at least 2 servings of veggies each and every day. Check minus. Though it’s hard to say with certainty, because I did not log all my meals, I know there were some pretty bad days in there (especially food day in the office *gorge*). And today’s “run” (if I can even call it that) was pitiful due to a poorly fueled body.
- Take another stab at #3 from last week. “Pick one thing about myself to love and appreciate” Check. These vitamins I’m on make my hair and nails grow super fast. My nails have never been so strong and my hair so thick and healthy. I took the time this week to style my hair (versus throwing it up in a ponytail or behind a headband). Granted, the cooler weather helps me tolerate the bathroom to do my hair… but I’ll take the credit for this goal!
- Pack my lunch everyday and only buy one soda this week. (I know it’s going to be a very hectic week and I’m foreseeing some caffeine needs in my near future. But I’ll have to deal w/ coffee & tea!)
- Read. During the summer I was pouring through my books. I’ve stalled out… I will try to commit 1 hour over the course of the week to reading. That’s not much when you think about it.
- Work out 4 times this week. 2 Runs and 2 DVDs. Again, with the known busy schedule this will be tough, but I must make the time to do it! (we’ve got a beach vacation coming up and I want to be able to be in pictures to prove I was down there!) 🙂